Dear Parents of High School Seniors,
I was you last year and I’m now almost one full year removed from the craziness. As I think back, there are some things I’ve learned that I would like to pass on to you.
Advice to Parents of High School Seniors
FIRST OF ALL-STOP STRESSING OUT!!!
1. They’re either going to get in to the colleges they applied to or they’re not. It’s beyond your control now.
2. You’re going to continue to hemorrhage money between now and drop-off day (and that’s not even counting paying for college). Roll with it. It’ll work out somehow. Even if you’re a single parent like me.
3. You’re probably not going to lose 20 pounds before the graduation pictures. No one will care.
4. You can search the Internet and the Grown and Flown Parents group for lists upon lists of everything you’d ever (or never) think you’d need to send your kid to school, and, it’s too much. You will find that out at the end of the semester when they bring home a carload of crap.
5. Except for the blue IKEA bags, the tiny little command strip hooks for lights, and the surge protector power strip (extension cords are often banned.) Those are legit. You NEED those.
6. Don’t bug your kid over anything minor during this second semester. It’s not worth it. There will be drama with roommate selection, and class selection, and orientation, and, and, and… But, the good news is that more than likely they will figure it out if you let them.
7. Once they get to school, don’t call them every day. Don’t text them. Maaaaaybe Snapchat, but only if you’re not checking in. It will be hard, but next thing you know, they’re FaceTiming you at midnight to tell you about their date (on a Wednesday night).
8. Enjoy the clean house that only gets messed up if YOU mess it up! It’s amazing to roll in after a long day at work and…there’s nothing to do but eat dinner, read a book and go to bed. There’s a lot to look forward to in your soon to be empty nest.
And remember, you will get through this! It WILL be ok! It will be better than ok!
You Will Also Enjoy:
21 Fabulous Grad Gifts for Girls
Grad Gifts for Guys They Will Love