How Does Your 18-Year-Old Register for the Selective Service?

Everything You Need to Know About Selective Service Registration?

Although there has not been a draft in the United States since 1973, the requirement to register for the Selective Service was reinstated in 1980.

What you need to know about registering for selective service
Are you automatically registered for the Selective Service when you turn 18?

What Is the Selective Service?

Current law requires that with a few exceptions, every male citizen and immigrant (documented or undocumented) between the ages of 18-25 must register with the Selective Service. Men are required to register during a 60 day registration period, within 30 days of their 18th birthday (30 days before until 29 days after their 18th birthday).

Also, registrants must let the Selective Service know within 10 days of any changes in the information provided in their original registration until they turn 26. Those who register for the Selective Service form the prospective pool of people who might be drafted if the draft is reinstated.

How Do I Register for the Selective Service and Are You Automatically Registered at 18?

There are several ways to register. You can register online using the Selective Service Registration website if you are a United States citizen with a valid social security number. If you are a citizen who has not recently moved you will get a registration card on or about your 18th birthday. Simply fill that card out and put it back in the mail.

In addition, you can register through your application for financial aid via the Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) by checking “yes” where appropriate. You will then automatically be registered for the Selective Service.

Finally, any man, regardless of citizenship, visa or immigration status can register at any U.S. post office. Within 90 days of registering you should receive confirmation of your registration. If you do not, please call the Selective Service and tell them you did not receive confirmation.

What If I Miss the Deadline to Register for the Selective Service?

If a man does not register within the specified time period, he is technically in violation of the law. However, late registration with no consequences is allowed until a man turns 26 years old. At that point it is too late to register.

What If I Fail to Register for the Selective Service by the Age of 26?

Failure to register by the age of 26 can make a person ineligible for federal student loans and grants, certain federal job training, federal jobs or security clearance. In the case of immigrants, U.S. citizenship may be denied. Individual states may also have their own sanctions for failure to register, including, in some states, the inability to get a driver’s license, jail time and/or a fine (you need to check your state’s laws).

If I Register Will I be Drafted?

No. Registration does NOT necessarily mean that you will be drafted. In the event of a draft, registered males will be selected by random lottery and birth year. Candidates will then be examined for mental, physical, and moral fitness by the military before either being deferred, exempted from, or inducted into the Armed Forces.

Do I Have Recourse If I Did Not Register?

If you did not register by your 26th birthday and are suffering the consequences, you do have some recourse. You can explain to the official handling your case why you failed to register. You have the burden of proving that your failure to register was not knowing or willful.

Some agencies may ask you to provide an official response, or Status Information Letter, from the Selective Service indicating if you were or were not required to register.

Are Women Required to Register for the Selective Service?

No, females do not currently have to register.

Who Does NOT Have to Register for Selective Service?

  • Women
  • Any male resident above the age of 26
  • Residents of American Samoa who have never lived in the US
  • Active duty military personnel
  • Hospitalized, incarcerated, or imprisoned men (though they must apply within 30 days of release)
  • US residents on student or visitor visas
  • Individuals living in the US as part of a diplomatic or trade mission 
  • Individuals who are born female and choose to realign as men

More to Read: 

FAFSA: What Parents Need to Know

High School Graduation Gifts For Guys: They Will Love These! 




About Helene Wingens

Helene Wingens has always been passionate about painting pictures with words. She graduated from Brandeis University with a degree in psychology and three years later from Boston University School of Law with a Juris Doctor. In a year long clerkship for an appellate judge Helene honed her writing skills by drafting weekly appellate memoranda. She practiced law until she practically perfected it and after taking a brief twenty year hiatus to raise her three children she began writing a personal blog Her essays have been published in: Scary Mommy, Kveller, The Forward, and Grown and Flown where she is Managing Editor. You can visit Helene's website here

Read more posts by Helene

Don't miss out!
Want more like this? Get updates about parenting teens and young adults straight to your inbox.