Pokemon GO is sweeping the country sending kids, and their parents, outside for the first time this summer. But playing an app with our teens and college kids? Going back to Pokemon, a fad we were soooooooo happy to see the end of? Is this really a good idea?
Here are the 10 reasons you should download the app and play Pokemon GO with your kids right now.
1. We thought the days of playing games with our kids were over, they are not. The only time my family plays games is in a power black out when we are deprived of our electronics. Pokemon GO is a chance to play with our family and our electronics and remember what it is like to all laugh like children again. It is a return, albeit it with our phones, to the bonding of the pre-digital age. This is a gift.
2. It’s summer and it gets us all outside. Enough said.
3. As much as I could not wait to sweep up those Pokemon cards that seemed to be on every surface of my house (honestly, it took years to purge the place). Pokemon GO a trip down 1990s memory lane is a pretty wonderful thing.
4. A great sibling bonder. As our kids got older they may have grown apart. Pokemon, and their shared childhood, will unite them FOREVER. Beanie babies cannot be far behind.
5. Kids are willing to walk the dog, and go on errands. Win.
6. They are getting out of bed…before noon. Nothing in the known world has been able to achieve this, until now. Thank you Nintendo, thank you.
7. In an adolescent world where we worry about drinking, drug use, depression and more, Pokemon GO is a return to a gentler parenting age. This is a throwback to a world where my kids’ biggest frustration was that they could never find Charizard. It is pure joy to see teens and college kids enjoying such an innocent bit of fun.
8. No more nagging them to exercise. They will walk miles for this one. Competitive Pokemon GO races must be next.
9. This is the first tech development that we are not months or even years behind our kids. Kinda nice to be right there alongside them on this one.
10. Our kids are under a lot of pressure. It’s a nice day when their biggest goal is, “Gotta catch ’em all!